Thread: Magazines Autosport
View Single Post
Old 13 Feb 2018, 11:37 (Ref:3800913)   #21
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
They are at it again. It’s everyday! Today is a story about the halo but they use a photo of a McLaren, so showing sponsors, and quotes from two McLaren people.

I used to live Autosport so it’s such a shame. I know the media world has changed massively but this is just to mercenary and the few serious journos left can’t be too happy professionally.
I think that you are being grossly unfair to Autosport, and their editorial team.

Has it not crossed your mind that each team in F1 have marketing and PR departments that are responsible for making sure that their team's interests are disseminated across the media? Isn't it just possible that McLaren, now being led by a PR/marketing man in Zak Brown, know the value of releasing as much guff as they can so as to get maximum brand awareness?

The fact that the other teams do not feature as much may well be because they are not playing the game as well as McLaren. They must be fully aware that McLaren are featuring a lot; it's up to them to use the media, but they don't seem to want to do so.

And if you listened to the Goodwood commentaries, you would come to appreciate that Autosport Magazine's editor, Kevin Turner, is hugely passionate about motorsport in all it's forms. But he has to face reality, and if F1 on the face of the magazine keeps the sales figures up, then that is what he has to do.