View Single Post
Old 9 Feb 2015, 03:16 (Ref:3503136)   #2512
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
As someone who doesn't live in the US, I didn't know that, sounds promising.

I didn't try to say that the car was dead, more that it isn't seen as a luxury anymore, its one of the most common items nowadays. People don't really fantasize about cars anymore. And the gap between a race car and street car is closer than it has ever been.

Indycar doesn't have to call its self "the pinnacle". It just needs to call its self different. It's the only series I can think of that has a fair amount of ovals and road courses. The racing is some of the best right now in the world, certainly better than F1.

It won't appeal to the masses...I don't think any series can do that now. Let's be honest, the only reason F1 is relevant is because of the name and Ferrari. But if Indycar can interest car people, then it can do well.
Yes there have been so many road courses built in the USA over the past 15 years I can't even keep track of all that is going on with them. Many of them are oriented towards being country clubs or just for club type racing, however. Some of them have varying success but many stay very busy with a full schedule. So people are still interested in motorsport and cars, just not our current open wheel formula series.

Not appealing to the "masses"(i hate that term)? Nascar has done it successfully over 20 years. When I was a kid in the 1980's into the 1990's, Nascar was a southern hillbilly sport with few races outside that market. They identified what they needed to do and it has long since been a national sport. It's a mainstream product and the drivers are well known. It IS professional motor racing in the USA.

I think people and businesses sell themselves short scratching around for all these small niche groups of people, which may or may not exist.