View Single Post
Old 14 Oct 2016, 10:42 (Ref:3679952)   #41
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
As for Solberg, his setup from the start was more dumb than innovative. Throughout the years his cars has gotten less and less softer too.
"Dumb" seems a bit harsh. I would think his initial setup was derived from his preferences in a rally car. He does seem to have firmed his car(s) up a bit, but his DS3 still looks much softer than anyone else.

I have been curious about the configuration of the rear end of Solberg's current DS3 for some time. I recall there being talk about a redesigned rear (I think early in 2014?) and the back end of the car looked lower to the ground, but the car still seems to pitch around a lot, so I wondered if he had raised the rear suspension turrets and/or opted for shorter shocks to bring the back of the car down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Stecka tried a softer setup during his last season. Not very good results and when he switched back to a regular setup in Austria he got to his first final of the season and then also another final in Germany
A couple of years ago I read (possibly on this forum?) that Hansen had tried copying the suspension settings from Solberg and trialing them: they were unable to post anywhere near the same lap times. Not sure of the accuracy of that statement but, even it's its nonsense, the "best" settings will only work if they suit the driver.

In my personal opinion there are only a couple of current drivers who look comfortable driving a Supercar with a soft setup.