View Single Post
Old 14 Oct 2016, 12:05 (Ref:3679972)   #45
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I heard the same story. I would like to have seen Liam Doran try a PSRX DS3, he is one of the few drivers I thought the car would suit.

I was told (and this didn't come from an engineer, so I'm not taking it as gospel) that the mindset behind the soft suspension setup was to try to keep all four wheels in contact with the ground at all times. As the front of the car pitches up (especially with the amount of roll at the rear of the PSRX DS3), the front shocks will need more travel.

With Solberg driving: I wouldn't think so. With Timmy at the wheel: maybe. The PSRX DS3 doesn't seem to be shy of power, especially at the top end. That engine configuration might not work as well if the car was to be driven cleanly.
That is true, Hvaal was tired of the setup of the car. No one seems to be interested in buying Solberg's old car either.

I understand the point of having all wheels in contact with the ground but how necessary is it? Sure, some like softer suspension like Solberg but he is probably the best driver in the field also so if anyone can handle it, its him. However, he also wears up his tires more than anyone else.

Other drivers like Ekström, Kristoffersson, Loeb and the Hansen brothers drives very smooth with a harder setup, don't wear out their tires, keeps their wheel in contact with ground and are very fast. Even if Solberg had his worst round ever in Latvia, they are catching up to him.