Old 23 Apr 2018, 08:23 (Ref:3816984)   #27
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MartinH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by james s View Post
The problem with the B8's at the moment is the cars in masters are running Avon tyres and some are now using Fva's with 270 hp . Guards trophy races which are sponsored by Dunlop tyres are now allowing Avon tyred cars in the invitation class, the tyres are like chalk and cheese . Now the supply problem seems to be sorted I think we should all go back to Dunlops and a bit more of a level playing field
Slightly off topic but tyres are one of the biggest problems in historic racing at the moment ! The Dunlop problems when they move production to Portugal was & maybe still is an issue 4 years after the started to make the move, but even when production is 'stable' the large variations in performance of the SAME tyre is a real headache & if you want to be quick you have to buy lots of them & select only the good ones ; I've had tyres with 3mm radial run out & lateral tread shifting of the same order. I spent a lot of time match mounting & shaving them just to get them remotely round. Even then, when you run them, the non uniformity of the carcass construction becomes very clear at high speed & under braking & at the price they cost, these problems are just unacceptable.

I now help run an Alfa in the PP HTC series where we use Avons crossplies, which do seem slightly better, but still a long way from perfect ; this year we are running hand cut radials (legal in the series) & used on a lot of the cars in this series & hope they will be a bit more uniform, but are they really historic tyres ??

Ref Graham Wilson's B8, as far as I'm aware it uses a Lester Owen BMW motor, so Mr. Pittard would be even quicker with an FVA !!!