View Single Post
Old 13 Jan 2002, 20:19 (Ref:198176)   #11
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVID PATERSON
I never thought Brockie was exciting to watch, very impressive for sure, but I thought he was much to neat and tidy to be exciting.
'gsactly! Man, he'd let the others get on with the excitement, Grice, Rogers, Moffat, Janson, even Perkins... his job was waltzing round the last lap with a new record time and taking the garlands!

Quote:
And a quote from RaceTime
Maybe not - but I have asked before, and still haven't had a reaosonable answer - if Wayne is all that good *why* doesn't he have a regular (note the word regular here) drive?

There has to be a reason behind not having that so-called 'elusive' contract/drive. What is it?
This is the guy of whom the Commodore Cup drivers said "how can he do that?" when he blitzed them in practice for his very first race with them... who was told "We're running for a championship here, just don't get in our way, let us get on with it..." and walked away thinking, "Yeah, and I paid for this drive and I should give up for your sakes? Right!"

Maybe it was small stakes, but in a class where races were usually won by a car's length, he pulled a hundred yards on the first lap and consolidated his lead from there... in a car that never won before, IIRC.

I believe Wayne has the talent and could have the marketability justify the opportunity, but what driver, on being asked his opinion by his team owner, is going to say "Yeah, he's great!" when the guy is clearly going to drive rings around him?

I'll bet that behind the scenes there is a lot of talk about how he's going to have a 'big one' one day... yet the record speaks for itself, it's not on his CV at all.

All that you find there is a bunch of miracle drives in cars that woundn't get halfway up the grid in most other hands.