View Single Post
Old 28 Apr 2022, 22:48 (Ref:4108353)   #5
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A different report I read said that the driver had been a regular competitor (FWTW), so lack of experience wouldn't seem to be a major contributor. The photo there showed the car on its roof, apparently flattened - however that could be misleading.

Nevertheless, I would have thought the question of cages would be central to the future shape of the event. That would highly controversial for the 'classic' sections of the event. Though it should be noted that a cage did not save Peter Brock.

Friend of mine has competed in the touring side, no overtaking, follow an official car which sets the speed of the group, and keep to the speed limit. Having driven those roads, sometimes at highly illegal speeds, I can sympathise with the 'press on' mentality, especially in the environment of a formal competitive event and the pressures that can build in competitors. Add the situation shown in the ABC photo, wet roads slippery with euc oil, and ... you get these things happening, sometimes with serious results.