View Single Post
Old 27 Dec 2021, 18:47 (Ref:4091459)   #11
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
- EVs are now common on our roads . The emergency services and breakdown services like the RAC are presumably comfortable in dealing with them . It's reasonable to assume that some knowledge transfer could occur to enable clubs to deal with them
Professional or public services with obligations and/or commercial benefit from training their employees. Compared to volunteer-run club events dependent on volunteer marshals. Who do you think should pay for the additional training? For the additional equipment? The RAC can put up their prices, the NHS takes your taxes. Maybe hillclimbs should charge entrants more? Marshals? Spectators? You?

Quote:
- I have seen several EVs compete already, the first well over a decade ago . If they were really so dangerous I wonder why that was , or indeed why I can drive one past a school , to Tescos or in traffic .
You know perfectly well what the answer is to that. Driving to Tesco is, on balance, rather less likely to result in a heavy impact with a barrier than hammering up a narrow and twisty hillclimb course. Which is why your insurance will cover you for the former not the latter. And why crash testing assumes the sort of shunt typical of suburban roads rather than, say, the Esses at Prescott.

Quote:
- Motorsport will come under ever tighter scrutiny in the future, and if it can be seen to accommodate new technology as well as old that can only be to the good .That is why I think this issue is important . Sending out a message that EVs aren't welcome smacks of a sport resistant to change , and totally out of step with the fact that EVs are becoming the default mode of transport .
Becoming the default way to get to a circuit does not mean EVs have to become the default way to get round the circuit.

And let's get a sense of proportion here: we're talking about a handful of enthusiast-only, niche club events run by volunteers. EVs in one form or another are now a part of F1, WEC, WRC, WRX and BTCC. You make it sound like the decision of a few hillclimbs equates to motorsport as a whole sticking two fingers up at the future. It doesn't.