View Single Post
Old 21 May 2003, 23:34 (Ref:606409)   #5
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTV27
If they are allowed to build an AWD from a FWD, then doing a RWD should not be a bother.

Yes you are right about AWD being entrenched though...but the sooner they drop the shopping basket sized cars and run something a bit more substantial the better.
I know what you mean about awd and rwd, but if they were to be 2wd theres no doubt it would be fwd not rwd. Afterall S1600 could in theory be a rwd formula but the manufactuers insist on fwd as these are the cars they sell.

The top WRC class will always have 4wd as it is entrenched, it is safer and is what many manufactuers use in there road cars.
Maybe not the road car version of the cars they run as a WRC but in there stable of cars as a whole. Afterall look at the huge number of 4wd in the VAG group, if not Skoda at this particular time.

But as I've said before the WRC class is not about promoting a single car, but a brand and the technology this brand is developing for its road cars, just as in F1 and LM prototypes.

Saying that there has been a huge increase in the number of both 4wd and turbo cars in recent years after a major downturn in the early to mid-nineties.

I thik 4wd is know being use more in road cars as a safety feature and performance enhancing as many of the problems associated with 4wd in the past have been overcome and in return you get great traction and roadholding. As for turbos, smaller engines performance is boosted in a relatively environmentally friendly and cheap way. Plus theres the ultimate rally specials and sportscars.

Last edited by JAG; 21 May 2003 at 23:38.