Michael Oliver
Racer

England
Witney, UK
Michael Oliver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Jackson
Michael, Alain,

Done some more digging... In 1981 (Autosport, March 12!), Brian Auger had in his collection, T280-HU4, acquired from Malcolm Johnstone. This "is though to be the last T280 built". It was thought to be the ex-Lord chassis, which went to Belgium and Switzerland, but it's history was being researched in conjunction ith Lola.

Autosport's Thundersports reports say that the Mallock/Wilds T280 was the ex-Lord chassis, "last raced in October 1973" - which is incorrect, as Lord raced in 1974 (he raced a T212 in '73), but never mind.
Hmmm, interesting!

Maybe it was built up from spare tub/parts during 1973 as a cheaper alternative to a new T282 or indeed it was the Takahara car raced in late 72?

Digging around a bit more, there don't appear to have been any T280s that actually appeared at the 1973 Spa 1,000kms, although I believe according to Martin's site one or more were entered. However, Gaspar was driving in one of two BIP Lola T292s in the 2-litre class, suggesting that by this stage he had certainly sold his car, otherwise you might imagine he would have driven the 3-litre...

For the Nurburgring 1,000kms 27/5/73, Autosport has this to say:

"Once again the only 3-litre Lola to turn up was the Jolly Club-hired, Ecurie Bonnier-decored T280 with drivers Giorgio Pianta/Pino Pica." After a practice crash for his Porsche 908/4, Mario Casoni moved over to this car, replacing Pica. The car retired from the race with a broken gear linkage.

For Le Mans June 9/10/73 Autosport says:

"Lola's hopes lay with the Gitanes T282...

...A second privately entered ex-BIP Lola T280 was being run by its owner Daniel Rouvreyan with "Cyprien" (shown later in the report by the name 'Mons') and Christian Ethuin sharing the driving although by the standard of preparation it seemed highly unlikely the car would be going long enough for them all to get a drive."

I'm sure you probably already know this info but the car qualified 11th, with Rouvreyan setting the fastest practice time of the three at 3m 50.7s. A picture on p33 shows the car with a full-width roll-over bar/hoop and a white engine airbox but that is about all I can see. In the race the car experienced gearbox troubles early on and had retired by the 5th hour.

I'll try and catch up with the rest of the 73 races later today and then have a look through some 74 editions to search for any explanation of the Lord car and/or HU-04. I have a feeling Jeremy Lord runs Formula Three in the UK still, doesn't he? Suppose he might remember some info?

Cheers

Michael