View Single Post
Old 4 May 2018, 07:23 (Ref:3819323)   #45
LPP68
Rookie

LPP68 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
My understanding is that a downhill run reduces the impact of a poorer corner exit. Derek Bell talks a bit about this while narrating his lap of the Nurburgring from 1983 on "In-Car 956".
That would make the effect even worse. Many overtakes are only made possible when the driver in front makes a mistake under pressure. Cornerexits witch do not punish mistakes with time losses on the next stretch will decrease the chances for overtaking.

Quote:
Also, with that example from Spa, you can see it with your own eyes that the gap generally doesn't open up as much as you'd likely suspect from coming off a corner as slow as La Source.
Except that you wouldn't suspect that. The whole point why Tilkes designs offer so many slow corner - long straight - slow corner sections is that modern high downforce racing cars can only follow eachother closely in slow corners, since in fast corners the second car is losing to much downforce negotiate the corner as fast as its opponent.

Quote:
Beyond that, as I talk about, it's a compression AND expansion zone, so the corner entry plays into it as well.
I have no comment on this.

Last edited by LPP68; 4 May 2018 at 07:30. Reason: spelling mistake