View Single Post
Old 30 Jun 2022, 13:02 (Ref:4117582)   #287
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcanary View Post
When you get previously attacking drivers like Ash Sutton repeatedly saying and racing like they are more intent on staying out of trouble rather than fighting for places, it doesn't really sound as if things are in great shape.

That may be just a sign of him getting older and more "mature". However, The BTCC has prided itself on being full of entertaining racing previously, and hearing these comments regularly, (not just from Ash), rather detracts from that idea
Last year he certainly learnt how to use consistency over outright wins to get a championship and while that's still a factor this year it does seem like that car is still holding him back a bit at the moment.

If you're within a couple of points of leading the championship then it makes sense to settle for 6th or 7th but he wasn't and he lost out last weekend. Admittedly if he got lucky with the reverse grid draw it could have been a different matter, but lucky draws won't be part of a risk averse "bigger picture" strategy.

I don't think Ash was sitting in 6th by choice in the first two races. He seemed to be struggling to overtake and was left defending from Butcher quite a bit.

In my view it's a pity he couldn't have brought an Infiniti with him or maybe got that Jag together for this year.

One thing that did strike me about the racing at Croft this time was there seemed to be fairly large gaps a lot of the time between the touring cars up at the front. People are saying the cars are too evenly matched but look at the Ginettas - totally equal but with bumper to bumper racing up the front on the same circuit.