View Single Post
Old 11 Mar 2006, 12:21 (Ref:1543625)   #3
ART Racing
Rookie

Australia
Toowoomba, QLD
ART Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Group A car

It is only one of the old Hughes of Beaconsfield Supras. Hughes was not interested in providing information when we contacted them a few years ago, and the people who worked on them had gone. They did not seem to have any documents. CAMS in Australia have no record of the car having a logbook issued, even though it raced here for 4 years, 1984 to 1987. Same with New Zealand, it raced there for 2 years, yet again the NZ authorities have no records. I believe I know where the Australian logbook is, but the person will not provide it to me. I am basically trying to confirm some of the races it did in Britain, as part of getting the historic logbook issued in Australia - the car did the Spa 24 hour race in 1984 with Gordon Spice, and I believe it was the car Win Percy and Tony Dron drove in the 1983 TT, but can't really confirm. I believe there were either 3 or 4 of the Hughes cars built for circuit racing, and I did hear of another still in Scotland many years ago, but have not been able to find who owns it. The press in Australia at the time described the car as the Hughes 'development car', by which I assume it was the first one built. The car Win Percy drives in late 1984 is clearly a different car, and I believe this was later written off by Barry Sheene, which means there were at least 3. Any more accurate history would also be appreciated. Car is in 1987 spec so is quite different to its 1983 English form, updated engine, suspension, brakes, instruments etc, and it had a couple of very bad accidents in Aust so body is also mostly replaced.

John