View Single Post
Old 18 Apr 2008, 18:19 (Ref:2180877)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Good stuff as ever KA!

Yes I think Rouse did 2/3 of the '83 season when Pete Hall handed the car on to him as he didn't feel he was doing it justice!! So just why he thought he would go any better in the title winning Vitesse 2 years later is debatable!!

I also think that it's still running in club racing as you suggest.

I'll dig some pics out and post them at some point as well, just wanted the thread to get well underway first.

BTW I think that Rich Harman image you've linked is Rob Kirby's example? not entirely sure though. There were subtle differenced between the 2 ARDT cars. Dooley's first ran in the last season of Grp 1 and was then converted to Grp A spec. It appeared to run 'lower' and had a sort of side exahust system, whereas Rob's had a more standard system. Jon's car aso ran different wheels to Kirby's - Jon's were silver Compomotive's and Kirbys more the 'mag' style white alloys.

What was most memorable was the total difference in sounds!! Dooley's had a quite distinctive drone (which he once said was reminiscent of a Ferrari Dino!) and Kirby's, the TDR and ETC cars for that matter made the superb high pitched screamer sound when on full song. A superb engine note by any comparison!

TDR did run 3 cars on ocassion, but usually 2 for Phil Dowsett, Paul Smith in '84 and then Dowsett, Smith and Mark Hales in '85 IIRC.

Last edited by chunterer; 2 Dec 2008 at 17:17.