View Single Post
Old 18 Nov 2008, 10:35 (Ref:2336886)   #11
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Further note of interest regarding the ARDT BTCC cars was that if I recall correctly Jon Dooley's car was initially based heavily on his GTV6!!

It certainly used the GTV6's engine and running gear (that unique exhaust note in 2.5 trim gave that away) and may well even have shared the same chassis?!!!

With this in mind, Rob Kirby's car may have also been based on his earlier GTV6 as well, not sure on this one though.

Rob did have a monumental shunt in his though I think? and that might have been the end of his top line saloon career as maybe only Dooley ran the 75 into 1987 & 88.
Depending on when the ARDT 75s actually made their debut, I wonder how much of the running gear from both GTV6s was reused to build the 75s- There was certainly one GTV still active at the beginning of the '86 season, as they used it for the Donington ETCC round, presumably because the 75 wasn't ready (or homologated, bearing in mind that none of the Italian cars showed either?)

Going slightly off-topic, I did read a piece from one of the Italian car enthusiast mags (Auto Italia?) on a GTV6 running in Alfa Owners Club racing a few years ago which seems to have started off as the ex-Kirby GTV6, and gave some history of the ARDT BTCC campaigns.