View Single Post
Old 16 Dec 2013, 20:57 (Ref:3344730)   #44
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Apologies for the irrelevant mention of safety standards on treasures! It was in my head as a friend's teenage daughter is keen on original Minis. I suggested it would be a good choice for first car when she reaches 17. "Certainly not", was the reply, "it will be something modern and boring with airbags, abs and crumple zones"......

As you have gorn orf at a tangent to the original thread, may I add that maybe all these safety features could well be "responsible" for some of the tragic accidents that befall youngsters nowadays. They believe that with all the "cotton wool" surrounding them in modern cars makes them indestructible, whereas, well certainly my friends and I, we knew what the dangers were. It also helped that we knew what made our cars go, and what made them stop, and most of us maintained our own cars.

Back to the thread, I had a brand new Imp in '66 which I had to '69 (it was my first proper car - previously I had had two second hand bangers, a Triumph Herald and a Renault Dauphine (the first taught me how to cope with chronic understeer whilst the second taught me how to find gears that seemed almost impossible to locate). I loved the Imp, and it handled beautifully, although it needed a little breathing on to make it go a little faster.