View Single Post
Old 7 Nov 2003, 14:53 (Ref:776036)   #4
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many of "our" Aintree people went on to bigger and better things. I believe that Frank Sytner made his debut there in a Mini and his pit board "hanger outer" was none other than Sir Frank Williams. I also seem to remember Mr Sytner being upside down at Club in a FF1600 - although I might be wrong.
Just some names are :- [and this is not an exhaustive list]

Eddie Jordan, had his first UK win at Aintree, although he had a very good "helper", who modesty prevents me from naming.
Derek Daly [who tried to sneak out in a Le Riche GT, without signing on during a test night - but I collared him. This car was owned by a Charlie O'Hara - an Irish boatbuilder from Blackburn, although I'm not sure which sea runs past Blackburn]
Michael Roe, David Leslie, Gunnar Nillson, Kim Mather, Ken Fildes, Janet McPherson, Richard Peacock, Phil and Andy Middlehurst, Malcolm Barfoot, Alo Lawler, Mike Wrigley, Ray Davies, Harry O'Brien, John Scott-Davies, Derek Bennett [many Chevrons were given their first outings at Aintree], Steve Soper, Ken Bailey, Rob Moores, Vin Malkie, George Franchitti, etc. ..................
The list goes on and on. Those above will give you some food for thought.