Thread: WEC Kolles Prototype
View Single Post
Old 27 Jun 2014, 14:09 (Ref:3427161)   #56
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
I don't think the regs state that, it's just the way they operate... in fact IIRC nowhere in the regs did it even say they can separately balance the Ls against Hs in the first place?

Anyway, I just remembered reading/hearing that at least one manufacturer vetoed even further BoP helps for the Rebellion before Le Mans on the basis that the car had only done one race. And therefore they "only' got -40kg / +3,7liters / no consumption limit instead of even more. Which would imply that if Rebellion now gets further BoP for the next race, ACO couldn't (?) be able to give the same values for Lotus as they hadn't had the mileage so...
Referring to the 2014 Sporting Regulations, "EQUIVALENCE SYSTEMS (PERFORMANCE AND TECHNOLOGIES)", page 6, it is merely mentioned that the Endurance Committee can adapt the performance of the LMP1-L cars (as a whole), the relevant references being the average lap time of the fastest car in each technology :
Quote:
In order to limit the differences between the Light (LMP1-L) category cars and the Hybrid (LMP1-H) category cars, the Endurance Committee will be able to adapt the performance of the LMP1-L cars in accordance with the following conditions:
A. The reference will be the calculation of the average lap time of the fastest car in each technology. The average lap time will be calculated over the number of laps corresponding to 20% of the distance of the races (average of the best laps).
The models of the cars with the slowest technologies must have participated in at least two races and must have been properly classified in order to be able to benefit from the application of the rule.
The first adjustment of performance may be applied at any time by the Endurance Committee.
The Committee will have the right to request any necessary information from the manufacturers and/or the competitors, in order to the shed light on the issue at hand. Any such information will be treated in a strictly confidential manner.
I understand this as excluding the possibility of individual BoP-like adjustment within any of the LMP1-L and LMP1-H categories. Besides, the Endurance Committee can only "play" with the Appendix B figures and there is only one relevant column in the LMP1-L category and for each ERS option in the LMP1-H category.

I personally don't see a problem with this. There will at least be some competition in the LMP1-L category for the best-in-class position and this will provide a more representative picture of the respective levels of performance between privateers and manufacturers. Having two references is better than having just one.