View Single Post
Old 5 Mar 2019, 00:41 (Ref:3888307)   #12
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
so much about these photos is awesome. like everyone else, i particularly love the one of gilles having a bit of fun. thank you for posting them!
thanks previous mobile phone selling and crap old beemer driving gal ;-)

the funny thing of the Gilles oversteering shot, is that as these prints had disappeared eons ago, I always had this shot in my head, and was disappointed it never turned up. I had the moment of taking it, that feeling of getting the shutter release just right as he drifted past us. I remember being aware of positioning myself to be above the fence line, and I clearly remember the people cheering around me.

For sure, these feelings were affected by seeing the "hometown hero" go past, and as the years went by, long after he was killed, I kept this memory clear in my head.....but never found the photo.
I've written on here ages ago how that horrible feeling overcame my best friend and I watching the tv news that day that he died, seeing the replay of the accident and his ragdoll figure flying against that damn catchfencing they used back then.
I guess for me and a lot of people, his death was the first shocking death of someone that we all looked up to, I dont like using the "hero" word, but you know what I mean.

so, to finally find that my dad had squirrelled these prints away, and to finally see the colour image on paper again, that pretty much matches my memory of taking it, was neat.

I've had the opportunity to shoot at a few motorsport events in the past, did a lot of commercial and press work over about 25 years, but this was a nice surprise, because in my head, this really was a lost photo for me.
I also found some photos of me as a teenager that I had never seen (talk about fricken Capitain Dorky Hair, Santa Maria!) and also photos of my dad when he was a lot younger than I am today, which was pretty special also, especially given how he is getting on now and dealing with illness stuff that isnt particularly fun.

cheers 10/10ths folks