View Single Post
Old 19 Dec 2016, 21:34 (Ref:3697215)   #4719
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
But that's not the discussion at hand. Has nothing to do with the ACO. The discussion is about whether or not new entrants can abuse the rules to gain a big advantage in season.

Conclusion is that it's not out of the question.
I haven't looked at the regulations yet, but I highly suspect there is the ability to undo specific waivers if a new entrant proves to be unexpectedly highly competitive either out of the box or faster than expected. If there isn't a clause like there, there should be.

This is a type of BOP adjustment. I may have some details wrong, but this is about stuff that the new teams get extra (engine allocations, tires, fuel, aero time, testing), but all could be undone and the cars should be at the same tech spec as everyone else. So it should be adjustable based upon the teams performance, but it may result in some tears until things can be adjusted.

I think the only area for potential abuse is if someone sandbags early in the season and then turns it all up at LeMans and upsets the expected order. But this assumes someone can create a competitive car out of the gate and that they are able to hide sandbagging from ACO/FIA. I think the level of data that comes out of these cars might make it hard (but not impossible) to hide significant sandbagging.

Richard