View Single Post
Old 5 Sep 2017, 16:06 (Ref:3764749)   #40
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
is the problem really the penalty format or function of modern F1?

rather, havent we seen this in the past few seasons now (more so as the calendar increases in size)?

obviously Honda get a lot of penalties and frankly they deserve them but the deeper problem, imo, is that we are approaching the part of the season where the constructors table is pretty much set so teams have shifted focus and resources over to next year.

so now you have a case where RB, for example, will take strategic penalties in the hopes of squeezing out a lucky win somewhere else (a morale and PR boost) and Renault overall my start trying some new things and/or push the envelope to get a lead on next year.

anyways, maybe im being weird but i would say more penalties are needed....mid to late season strategic engine changes and a points structure that tends to reward resource allocation to the next season does a disservice to those who have devoted money and time to watch these races and is the bigger problem imo.

i get that resources are limited and these are smart and necessary strategic and financial moves and in the past they made sense but now as the calendar is growing (they want what 25 races?)...its just that i can live with the penalties more then i can live with the last third of the season looking more and more like a glorified test.

teams need to be compelled to put their best foot forward for each event...like others though, i dont have the foggiest on how to accomplish that.