Thread: 2023 Extreme E
View Single Post
Old 15 May 2023, 14:16 (Ref:4156257)   #13
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
So I watched the Hydro Xprix, primarly because it's just down the road from me. I have some observations.

- not allowing fans doesn't help the brand. I was going to go spectate it but you're not allowed
- race control was abysmal. Perma-slow zones that they didn't notify drivers about. Faulty lights systems. Drivers penalised for infractions that didn't happen. Drivers removed from races for "causing" the red flag when in reality they were innocent victims. It was frustrating to watch
- the cars are still unable to cope with the mud. If you lead out of T1, you won. Nobody could see anything
- the cars are far too fragile. Both in terms of hits and in terms of reliability
- the tv coverage is poor. 2 hour show has 30 minutes of action and 90 minutes of climate preaching. I'm all for saving the climate, but the show made it not fun.
- despite all this it was a lot of fun.

There's a good racing series under the mess there somewhere. But it's still failing at the fundamentals.
I must admit I've not seen any of this latest season - it's pretty much dropped off the radar here. They really should have the reliability issues sorted out by now - they've been there since day one. It's a spec car - why isn't someone hammering it in testing somewhere and getting all of the glitches ironed out? I thought EVs were supposed to be simpler with less bits to go wrong? Why can't they get on top of the reliability?