View Single Post
Old 9 Feb 2024, 01:27 (Ref:4195818)   #3323
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
side note...well maybe an unrelated rant lol.

a bit of a pet peeve of mine that race attendance numbers are almost always reported as 'across the weekend' numbers as opposed to an actual 'race day' attendance number. always bothers me that they count people multiple of times over the weekend presumably to make certain events seem more well attended than they really are.

i suspect that Silverstone's race day attendance alone would shade several GPs 'across the weekend' numbers.
I know what you mean but it is something of an international convention on how multi-day event crowds are counted and reported - the same methodology is used by sports such as Cricket, Golf, Tennis, Soccer tournaments, Olympic & Commonwealth games etc.

It does seem to be different however (at least some of the time) in the US & I guess Canada, where daily counts are what is used. NASCAR always used to separate out the crowd each day across a multi-day weekend, assigning one day to truck series, next to nationwide series (as it was then) and the last & main day to Nextel Cup (as it was then). Don't know if they still do that now.