Thread: Winter Projects
View Single Post
Old 18 Aug 2018, 11:39 (Ref:3844433)   #2297
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Surprised you buy through a french website though. Do they sell side bumpers together with mudguards? Something like two mudguards bought, one side bumper free!
Grant, I've been told by US chaps that WD could help preserve your knees almost as new, no need o consider a rebuild. Not tested yet…
WD40 Gerard?

Hmm.

I used some the other day. Both of my spray cans seem to have rather leaky outlets so I ended up with hands covered in the stuff. No positive results noticed in terms of improved articulation. In fact the opposite today although I do not claim any causation.

I do have a protector for the rear gearset on bike. I think it has been useful once or twice over the years.

Looking around on the internet last night I noticed how seemingly sophisticated (and expensive) some of the braking systems have become.

The best brake I can remember having on a bike was my first "proper" bike at age 8 or 9 iirc (I was still using it when I left school).

Bought in Germany it had only a single gear ratio but a back-pedal brake which was brilliant and great fun for skids.

The tyres were some sort of beige coloured rubber-like material and quite wide compared to a typical British bike but lasted quite a long time - I never saw a need to try to change them. That was despite running a friction dynamo for the lights against the side wall of the front tyre.

Front brake was a joke - a rubber block that acted directly onto the tyre are it passed through the forks. But then with such a great rear brake it was hardly of any concern.

Presumably back-pedal brake technology is not compatible with any form of multiple gear ratios?

Ah, memories, memories.