View Single Post
Old 9 Sep 2011, 07:26 (Ref:2953025)   #15
Mark-e21
Rookie

Mark-e21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just thought I would mention that I am still seeking to get as much information on TWR and their connection with BMW and the County Race series. I am also restoring one of a pair of 335's that were built and sold by TWR back in 1982. In fact, someone else on here owns the sister car as was tested by Tiff Needell for Autosport back in the day.

There are more details on the car here.

http://thealpinaregister.com/forums/...874&highlight=

It seems the spec of the race cars was as follows:

The BMW 323i's which are representing their respective counties in this year's BMW County Championship initially started life as standard road cars. They were transported straight from BMW Munich where they were taken to Tom Walkinshaw Racing at Kidlington, Oxford. Tom, together with Hugo Tippet, the team manager and 6 racing technicians then modified the cars to racing specifications which were as follows :-

BMW 323i - County Car Specification

* 2.3 litre engine balanced throughout
* Gas flowed cylinder head polished and raised compression to 9.8:1
* Brake tested to deliver 170bhp
* Heavy duty clutch
* Front struts specially rebuilt to TWR Racing settings, with stiffer springs and adjustable abutments.
* Competition rear dampers have adjustable bump and rebound settings with stiffer springs.
* Adjustable front anti roll bar of 24mm fitted in addition to standard one.
* Rear one of 19mm also fitted.
* Limited Slip Differential fitted with reinforced rear crossmember mountings.
* Racing brake pads front and rear have been specially made with additional ventilation to the discs.
* Mahle wheels 6Jx13 are fitted with Dunlop racing tyres.
* Body stripped of all interior trim, fitted with FIA roll cage front and rear, competition high back driving seat, BMW Motorsport steering wheel, four point racing harness, 2.5 kilo FE1301 plubed in extinguishing system, battery cut off switch and reinforced fuel tank.
* Specially made fibreglass bonnet and boot lids fitted. The boot lid carries a rear wing and there is a special racing air dam at the front.
* A special free flow exhaust system is fitted complying with the 1980 RAC noise regulations.

Some of the drivers race suit patches.

Never mind the cars even the badge is rusting!

Some BMW press releases with race results, championship standings, prize money etc.

They were the days...

I have also started using an e21 in some sprint events and as I couldn't find a genuine county car, I thought I'd build my own!

If anyone has any more information I'd really appreciate hearing from you.