Thread: BTCC BTCC 2021
View Single Post
Old 21 Apr 2021, 09:52 (Ref:4047039)   #3102
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestHam92 View Post
Don't liveries become iconic when the cars have success, as well when they look great? Hence why the JPS and Texaco liveries are considered as iconic.
I think this is exactly the case.

In isolation, the JPS livery is no better or worse than the Car Gods 54.
Likewise the Texaco is no better or worse than Rokit.

IMO - In order to become iconic, two things are needed. Firstly, it needs to be a 'clean' livery, with well defined elements and typically based around a single brand. Secondly, the car or driver needs to do something that sets apart from the field.

So when we look at the Texaco Sierra - you have a car that was competing around the world in the same livery, and so exposure leads to familiarity, which leads to iconic.

For the JPS livery, 15 years on an F1 car, as well as featuring on Touring Cars means that exposure levels are high.

And that is what it boils down to - the more exposure a livery receives, the more 'iconic' it will become over time. We are less likely to see a multi-year deal for the same livery to be represented in different motorsport disciplines, so we are less likely to see iconic liveries emerge today.

With regards to BTCC having a lot of black liveries, it's not really that many when you look across the whole grid, and some of the ones we have seen so far look pretty good (IMO). The promising feature so far is that all of these black liveries are a result of sponsorship, as opposed to team preference - which is a healthy position for the series to be in. There is still plenty of variety across the grid, and telling the cars apart will not be difficult - unless we genuinely think that people can't tell the difference between a black Cupra with white elements and black BMW with Red/Blue elements?.

Full grid - sponsors on cars - where's the problem?