View Single Post
Old 18 Apr 2011, 23:02 (Ref:2866145)   #19
tkelland
Rookie

tkelland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I heard specifics about Cleveland but like most things open wheel these days, those thoughts get flushed down the toilet, but I do recall something about there being issues with the city or the airport where the race would never happen again or at least anytime soon.

Surfers, now that V8SC has it's grip on the event as they had desired for so long and there is little chance after the QLD government got burned by A1GP, the race would ever happen again for irlcar. The track is shorter now, which pleases some locals and it's cheaper to run.

Calder, there are threads on here about the track, if you do a search. It is in no condition for racing anything and it's in pretty decrepit shape. It would probably cost more to fix than just rebuild. I've been to Calder and even back in the CART days, I don't think the track is built for open wheel cars. So that is a no go.
I read somewhere that the promoter, who also promoted the Houston Grand Prix, was more keen to hold a race in Houston, than Cleveland. Though, if a title sponsor for Cleveland were to emerge, a race there would be pushed to IndyCar officials. As an attendant of this race in Cleveland multiple times, I can say Cleveland REALLY is behind this event.