View Single Post
Old 12 Jan 2018, 12:53 (Ref:3792257)   #86
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartracer88f View Post
A Gt3 car is much cheaper than a Gte in purchase price. Gte you start around 700k and can get to a million plus.
No offense, but given how few GTEs are actually "sold" to teams, I'd much prefer to hear this from someone I know is on the inside. The GTE manufacturers keep this stuff VERY close to the chest and most of the people who know have a vested interest in keeping such information muddy, so without knowledge of who I'm talking to and what they can reasonably be expected to know(or what source you're using for that info so I can know if the source can be trusted), I can't trust the statement.

Quote:
The reason the Ferrari Gt3 is so pricey, is because it's pretty much the Gte car.
That doesn't explain the McLaren, or the Mercedes, both of which are reportedly(both have publicized pricetags but I've been told both are lowballed by a severe amount) well over the LMP2 cost cap in purchase price(which is the primary point of the price matter - whether GTE is more expensive or not is frankly a side matter we're trying to sort out to help adjust factors/illustrate the reasoning of my earlier post regarding the merging of the classes). Neither have a GTE equivalent to affect matters.

[quote]Most of this thread has things very backwards. Gt3 is closer to street car in every fashion,

Okay, this is just plain flat out false. NEITHER is any "closer" to the street car than the other. Both are highly tuned and heavily modified racecars that have little in common beyond their look.

Quote:
and modifications are of a much cheaper type than Gte
That depends entirely on the individual manufacturer. Some are less crazily modified than the GTE version(PORSCHE), but many look at the rulebook and go absolutely nuts - for the most extreme example I can recall in my presently tired state(seriously, I REALLY should just be going to bed and posting this when I wake up), the BMW Z4 barely had anything in common with the road car.

The simple reality is that, by design, the GT3 rulebook is VERY loose and manufacturers are very keen to take advantage of that. Some more than others.