Thread: Rules Future Rule Changes
View Single Post
Old 8 Mar 2024, 08:13 (Ref:4200445)   #4283
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I know I am perhaps oversimplifying the issue, but if they shrank the size of the front (and rear) wing by half, then lowered the front wing more towards the ground, I really think that would improve the ability for cars to be able to follow each other.
You'd have to do the modelling.

Newey wanted FW14B style front wings with the little fins running inside the front wheels, but most categories including Indycar and F2 now use the wide front wings as they obviously significantly reduce drag from the front tyres.

The big rear wing's counter rotating vortex pair is an important part of lifting the wake of the car over and above the following car, so the dirty air goes over the following car instead of at it.

Obviously Formula Ford-style cars with no aerofoils or downforce at all would have no difficulty with dirty air, and indeed a beneficial draft instead. But is there an appetite to reduce cornering from 5G to only 1.5-2G? That will make the cars at least 25-30 seconds per lap slower.