View Single Post
Old 20 Mar 2013, 09:57 (Ref:3221612)   #9
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Six months on I am still struggling to agree that we are lucky to have the choice of both channels. I'm sure we are compared to the rest of the world, but its always a lot easier to reflect on such a view when you are the viewer who 'has the choice' of watching either channel IMHO. I've got nothing against those who pay through the nose to have Sky and would love to have a disposable income big enough to do the same but I suppose that's life. As it stands I am about to move into a new house and a new less desirable area. We moved because of cost and ironically will have a house nearly double the size of our old one, but significantly cheaper in regards to the mortgage. We have a little one on the way too so money is tight with saving extra for that along with flooring and things for the new house. Times are tough for some and even tougher for others. I'm not a bad off as most I'm sure.

I'm a little more chilled out about the deal than I was a year ago. I've never been bothered about watching races completely live as weekends are usually busy for me anyway. I used to like recording the race and watching it Sunday evening (in full) when I'm home and finished with the more social activities. I still do that now with the races the BBC have live. I was rather hoping when this deal was first announced that there was some truth in Bernie's comments that hinted the BBC would show the 'full' race, but delayed. I could have accepted that without any fuss at all. I've always been rather good at avoiding the race results as its not as mainstream as football and people don't tend to bring it up in conversation. The F1 in pubs thing is good for those who live in big towns and Cities and have the free time to dedicate a whole Sunday afternoon to sitting in a pub. Fair play to them, but its not a solution for everyone. The highlights aren't too bad in terms of the way they are edited. There are times when you notice several laps have been jumped, but in some races its helpful because SC periods are shortened etc. The sport has become significantly popular in recent years in the UK and that is down to the BBC and their delivery. It was sad to read that viewing figures have slipped 3 million in 12 months and I really do hope it declines further. I think they need a reality check to realise that chasing the quick buck is not the way to keep things fresh and attract new fans. Just my opinion and so far I think it is heading the way many of us predicted. I was chatting to a chap from Sky about this and he thinks the F1 channel will go completely on to the Sky Sports tariff in a couple of years even for those who have it now on a basic HD subscription. That's not an official statement of course, just an insider opinion. I've seen this suggested elsewhere on the internet and it seems many are almost expecting it. We'll have to wait and see of course.

So in Summary I am still not happy with the current deal, but a little more accepting that at least I see most of the coverage on the BBC. Its still the better channel to watch F1 on IMO and a hell of a lot cheaper. I don't feel like I am lucky to have the choice, because I don't. No more than I have the choice to go down the road and buy a Mercedes in this free country. Like everything, you have to pay to enjoy things, and if you don't have the cash, you don't get. Simple as that. Above my bitterness for the deal I take comfort in the fact I don't have Ted Kravitz on my screen. I just hope I don't bump into him at Silverstone this year as its looking likely I'll have hospitality with Force India!

Sorry I probably sound quite drab, but its only a flying visit from me. I'm more a reader than a poster here.