View Single Post
Old 22 Jan 2009, 21:11 (Ref:2377094)   #1
Chris Wilson
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
Chris Wilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Intercooling on a race car. Air to air, or air to water?

I have asked five people, and had five different responses, so I am now asking a wider audience. I have also asked on another race car forum, and had conflicting ideas mooted. I THINK I am about to pass on air to water, but would welcome further input. If I go air to air could people suggest placement of such an exchanger. Thanks.

I have a sports GT race car (Zeus) that currently has a Toyota 1600 4A-GE Formula Atlantic engine in it, making about 210 BHP. I am turbo charging it with the hope of seeing about 350 to 380 BHP at the flywheel. The turbo is a Garrett GT3071R, with integral wastegate. The management will be Motec M800. The current pair of twin choke Weber 48DCOE carb are removed and a plenum with a single 65 mm throttle body made. I am dropping the CR to about 8.5 to 1 and fitting milder cams, of about 270 to 280 degrees duration.

My indecision rests on how to intercool it. Anyone with nothing better to do is welcome to look at some photos of the car I link below. I won't muddy the water with my own, or currently suggested ideas, except to say I think I need to keep the current water radiator set up, I don't think I can get away with less. I don't mind scoops on the rear body work, but don't want any front of the car mounted heat exchanger.

I will consider air to water, but ONLY if I can get information from people with first hand experience of this of this running a similar power output from a small engine, in circuit RACE trim. My fear is an air to water will work fine on the road, or even track days, but may heat soak in full long distance circuit race usage.

Photos of the ongoing project at http://www.gatesgarth.com/intercool...tercooling.html

Thanks for looking.