View Single Post
Old 16 Dec 2020, 14:51 (Ref:4023266)   #59
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
And hopefully with Audi and Porsche on board Multimatic can design the LMP car they want rather than having to deal with the outdated and outmodeled ideas that Riley forced on them for the Mk30/Mazda DPI. That car didn't even use Multimatic shocks until Riley moved on and the suspension on the Ford GT road and race cars (which Multimatic designed and built with Ford) was more advanced.

I mean, torsion bar springs have been on LMP cars since the Bentley GTPs and were very widely copied to the point where aside from the Mazda DPI (the Riley Mk30 LMP2 is dead, sadly) the front suspension on everyone's LMPs used them (and the Jaguar XJR-14 and the derived Mazda MXR-01 and Joest/TWR Porsche WSC used them up front if you want to go back even further). I know the main reason for using torsion bars is packaging, as guess what a coil spring basically is? A torsion bar wound in a coil! But packaging is still packaging.

Now maybe we can see what Multimatic can do if Audi and Porsche let them loose with a clean slate.