View Single Post
Old 17 Dec 2020, 13:30 (Ref:4023428)   #69
Napolis
Veteran

Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
I know some of this discussion is a better fit in the new rules thread, but I can see why Audi might not opt for the DTM engine. You also have to remember that the similar engines used in Super GT/JGTC are also sprint optimized (I don't think they've done any 1000km races with them), but then again, that depends on specified engine life before changes or major maintenance.

Audi, however, do have one of the last engines that Ulrich Baretzky designed before he retired from Audi Sport. Remember, Audi Sport were looking at forsaking TDI racing engines running a twin turbo gasoline V6 in an evolution of the R18 before the LMP1 project got shelved.
As the rules have reduced needed HP to appease IMSA an ICE engine that makes 630PH in endurance tune is easy. An Audi GT3 engine could do it. Existing DPI engines can. With a spec 40 HP IMSA hybrid they can reach the 670HP limit.