View Single Post
Old 18 Oct 2022, 15:15 (Ref:4130738)   #410
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
A little off topic here, but I'd say some of the current manufacturers built part of their reputation on pre bop racing. Think Ferrari, Porsche, Corvette. After the reputation was built, we've gone into maintenance mode. (Read: Marketing). The manufacturers will race as long as it makes marketing sense, not technical development sense. Losing all the time doesn't make marketing sense, and race promotors know close racing sells. Hence bop.

So the answer is yes I think people still buy cars based on racing. Just not the actual race product of today. Only anoraks on the fence care that there's a luxury Lexus duking it out with a Ferrari. Or anoraks in their living room.
THAT

The marketing guys need their job and as long as racing is cheaper than TV. horse racing, stick and ball sports branding, etc they'll be there. And remember just like the PSLs and fancy boxes at stadiums, the brand is there to bring the moneyed peoples together at the fancy box looking at the cars, most don't care what the car really is. My mom went to Indy with Rolls Royce guys who were selling my dad engines, she was the only one on the balcony of the pagoda. Everyone else was inside with the door closed making deals and talking engines, the race was just the event to bring people together and make money

And I have fallen in that buy it cause they race it, well it's on the race car, purchases. And have told them that's why, although PNC can eff right off even though they heavily support Indy. (Their loan system sucks and just not helpful at all) I bought Patron cause Ed came racing, I've tried to buy Motul oil cause they support multiple teams and other stuff. Sorry, haven't visited the Caymans yet Porsche Carrera Cup