Thread: Tony in trouble
View Single Post
Old 10 Aug 2014, 21:16 (Ref:3443292)   #41
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
People have mentioned criminal charges. That's not the way it works. This is a sporting arena where you can die and sometimes people do. It's a risk and one that some people choose to maximize that risk and some choose to minimize that risk. It's an extremely difficult case to make for criminal charges because of the environment and that the deceased chose to put himself on foot and in the path of circulating cars on a race track. If on a long shot, criminal charges are filled, the defendant will have paid motorsport-specific expert witnesses to testify and it will never stick. A civil court case and more likely a settlement will be the result.
hmmm. My gut feeling is that this WILL result in lawsuits, and be dragged around the courts for years to come, whether some people look at the drivers as some kind of weird modern-day gladiators or not.

My other gut feeling is that Kevin Ward was incredibly stupid. Unfortunately he paid for that with his life, and I cannot begin to imagine what his family must be going through. Deliberate or not by Tony Stewart, he is going to have this baggage to deal with for the rest of his life.

It's a terrible terrible day for motorsport.