View Single Post
Old 1 Jun 2019, 13:24 (Ref:3907268)   #66
Starion13
Rookie

Starion13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
This is a concept which I dislike. At a British circuit with tarmac run-off where cars often run wide we're often asked if the driver gained an advantage. to which I want to reply "Well, he left the circuit and isn't in the wall or gravel or bouncing across rough wet grass, so effectively, yes, he did." More to the point he didn't suffer any disadvantage, and if you go off track, you should.

Maybe motorsport as a whole needs to advocate that if you leave the circuit then you drop to the back of everyone on the same lap as you, or perhaps a mandatory drive through? It's a plague and I hate it.
I agree. The concept of motor racing (as in general driving) is to remain on the bitumen. Too often now drivers are using 'run off' areas to advantage and without consequence. You don't see too many drivers using the run off area at Reid Park - McPhillamy at Bathurst do you? It's one thing to have an area so that a small mistake doesn't out you in a barrier but its gotten out of hand and drivers just see it as an opportunity to blend the circuit to how it suits them.