View Single Post
Old 8 Sep 2006, 11:26 (Ref:1804791)   #11
MattV
Racer

Australia
Sydney
MattV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter Brock was my, still is my, childhood hero. I am 27 years old.

My first sporting memory was the 1984 Bathurst, and Dad took me to the James Hardie buidling in town where they had the car on display after the race. From there I was hooked. Remember when you had your when I grow up jobs? Well I wanted to be a motor racing driver - just like Brocky.

I was too young to understand the split from Holden in 1987 and I deliberately haven't tried to find out about it now. Same as I haven't and won't read Bev's book. I don't want to taint my memory of the man.

What is that memory?

The bloke who would sign autographs in the dark after having been at the track from 6am. I remember clearly Eastern Creek and Oran Park 1997 - his final year. I reckon he signed something for me at 8pm at night for me that night at Oran Park.

The bloke who wouldn't let anyone go without getting that autograph or that photo they were after. The image of him being dragged away whilst still signing by members of the team or Bev are clear in my mind.

The bloke I could stand and listen to his stories, about motor racing, about life for hours on end.

The bloke with the most positive outlook on life, and keen to pass this on to everyone he met.

And finally, the bloke who didn't have to be all of the above, yet was.

Last edited by John Turner; 3 Jan 2007 at 11:19. Reason: Driver Files edit.