Thread: Customer Cars?
View Single Post
Old 8 Jan 2021, 11:30 (Ref:4027618)   #17
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I can see why midfield and back of the grid teams who design and make their own car would be massively opposed to one of their competitors just buying a championship winning car off the shelf. Does anyone want to see the front two rows of the grid filled with the same car, with team orders and inter-team orders in play preventing proper racing?

F1 needs to be financially fair enough in order that the current teams do not go out of business. If we do lose teams, then one solution would be customer cars, but I would see that as a last resort. I would prefer to see the ridiculously over complicated and massively expensive engines and other costs cut first, so that teams can continue to operate, and potentially even new teams join.

Another issue is that F1 rules and regs change from season to season, so last years car might not be viable under this seasons regulations.