View Single Post
Old 3 Jan 2012, 07:41 (Ref:3006631)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
.........plenty of club racers do their own builds / prep / repairs, sleep in vans (campers if you are lucky), store the car at home, don't bother insuring it 'cos it's not worth that much, etc.
I reckon if you were a bit more sensible / careful about where and how you spent your money you
(a) might be able to afford a whole season, and
(b) might not need an overdraft.
So taking your position then, those of who can't build their own cars (for whatever reason) shouldn't comment? Seems somewhat harsh to me. Of course the other side of the coin is, that by having someone prepare the car there's a better chance of finishing a race (depending on the car of course), therefore many would suggest it is better to enter with a reasonable expectation of finishing, than enter a car that only lasts ten minutes simply because self preparation is cheap. I think the point made was that the entry fees are a small percentage of the overall cost of racing. And of course one of the most vociferous proponents of the opposite position actually prepares his own cars!

Going back to Al's discussion re the Racing Saloon Car Club he ran. The club fee bought entry to the championship, it did not buy entry to the events. That only came by being a registered member of the BARC. Thus even if you didn't want to join the RSCC, you still had to be a member of the BARC if you wanted to enter one of the races. I believe this situation still applies to the CTCRC (excepting a couple of club promoted events).

Why do people constantly complain about this? If you don't want to enter because of the entry fee requirements then don't. If there are viable alternatives then please table them. IMO and with respect to the OP, all this thread is saying is that life isn't fair and that anyone should be able to race wherever and whenever they like.