Thread: Tech Issue Pirelli-The Tyre Story..
View Single Post
Old 17 Jan 2019, 12:13 (Ref:3876688)   #1811
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
I wouldn't like to be seen as trying to say Paddy isn't right but that statement seems to ignore both logic and physics.
A low aspect ratio tyre, when installed on corectly designed suspension, has the ability to more accurately control the positioning and movement of the contact patch within the most ideal requirements.
A larger light weight wheel with a smaller proportion of rubber to achieve the required diameter is surely lighter than the present specification.
Yes, F1 suspension would require a revolution in design to substitute for the current situation where the tyre itself uses it's flexibility as the main springing function of the suspension.
i suppose teams can reduce the weight of the rims themselves whereas a heavy tyre is a heavy tyre. he does ignore the huge amount of variation in sidewall flexibilty between different brands and applications though. the simplest comparison of that is between wets and slicks (ideally new). if a low profile lmp1 tyre can be designed to last for a similar length of time as a f1 tyre with plenty of grip, then it’s hardly impossible. likewise the teams can adapt.

not saying that low profile would be my choice, considering that almost all single seaters currently use 13” or similar, but i can’t see any definitive reasons that they’d be a terrible idea. formula e is a poor comparison since they have a totally different concept behind their tyres. even if they do practically run them as slicks in testing