Thread: Tech Issue Pirelli-The Tyre Story..
View Single Post
Old 17 Jan 2019, 12:30 (Ref:3876691)   #1812
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We are going OT but my thoughts are mostly inline with Oldtony. I think there are pros and cons to each option. I think the current tires probably do have more grip as they can deform more than short sidewall designs. I suspect the current ones are likely slightly lighter, but not by much. I agree that the shorter sidewall tires will be more responsive.

In general what Lowe was really defending was the status quo. So he talks only about the pros of the current tires and the cons of the others. Heads I win, tails you lose. He doesn’t paint a complete picture. The current tires are understood and the current suspension designs optimized for them. Moving to shorter sidewall tires will move more “movement” from the tires (sidewalls) to the actual suspension. The teams will have to move focus to suspension design. With the inherent risk that someone will get it wrong, or that a current trick solution doesn’t transition well.

Would the fans see or notice a performance difference? Unlikely. And the difference may be minor in the end. I wouldn’t put money on which might be better (performance) in the long run. Especially as the car will change as well and comparisons that zero in on one feature change will be impossible or difficult. With that being said, I fully support the move to the lower sidewall tires.

Of course none of this has any real relevance to Pirelli.

Richard