View Single Post
Old 30 Aug 2011, 18:37 (Ref:2948460)   #69
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I generally frown on too much copy and paste, but there is some good stuff here. Some snippets from a Stoner interview at Indy courtesy of superbikeplanet.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2011/Aug/110830cs27.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner
"I don't feel that it's that much different," Stoner said one night at Indianapolis. "You set the bike up for the way that the bike rides, every bike you ride is different. Each chassis is going to feel and react in a different way. Carbon fiber doesn't feel the way that people expect it to feel—it's not a stiff and rigid bike. The bike still moves and bucks and weaves. You saw it, we never really fixed it, just reduced it."
Quote:
"(With) the steel trellis frame I personally had no advantages. I didn't like the way that it felt, didn't like the way it went over bumps. I found that steel wanted to react and return instead of being sort of a mellow sort of flex. When it did flex, it just wanted to return so you'd be in the middle of the corner and it always wanted to move. It wasn't very precise. I found that the steel trellis frame had no positives."

"With each step with the carbon frame we found big steps forward—and the other manufacturers were making big steps forward, so we had to go with it."
Quote:
"That bike has every chance of being competitive," he says curtly."

"It was a just a little too finicky," he concedes. "You had to be really precise on the set up, which is the way the Ducati has been since the first day I was on it. If it wasn't perfectly right then it was hard to ride. But when it was right it was great. But, when it wasn't great ... that was one big thing ..."
Definite shot at the current regime as far as results are concerned!