Thread: Team Honda in F1
View Single Post
Old 28 Mar 2019, 14:18 (Ref:3893915)   #50
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Would they have been allowed to switch? How would the limited number of engines that they can use have fitted in?
I suspect that outside of a force majeure scenario, the rules prevent teams from switching. Poor performance of (or poor relationship with) your current supplier would not count. There was talk amongst fans of an early switch given the poor relationship with Renault, but I think it was always fantasy. I “think” we even discussed this at the time on this forum? It might have also been in the Honda/McLaren context. Of McLaren switching mid-season? I think Honda would have had to walk away from F1 and refuse to supply power units to trigger an allowance for McLaren. I think Red Bull/Renault was even more fantasy than Honda/McLaren.

This is history and generally a moot point. It it was going on now, and I had more free time (busy day today) I might dig and find the regulations that talk to this.

Richard