View Single Post
Old 17 May 2001, 23:16 (Ref:93825)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ah - slight misunderstanding there on the word "kit", Smiffy.

What Bluebottle's got in mind is whipping all the mechanical bits out of a donor Metro, and bolting them into some whiz-bang little glassfibre roadster, of which there are many to choose from.

Even in their heyday, I can't remember a 6R4 wings n' arches kit. The standard track of a roadgoing Metro would make it look a bit weedy with all of those wide wings on it.

As for Metros themselves - it's not just yours. They're all rusty. I had a 1984 model when it was just 7 years old. Already it had total rust-through of the front wings above the headlamps, and there was a gaping hole just forward of each door. It really was in a terrible state. If yours is in any way perforated, then have a good long look at the rear subframe. They have been known to part with the chassis at the front mounting points, and flip backwards under the car, with the result that the rear wheels hang clean out behind the hatchback.

I leave to your imagination what this can do if a driver isn't expecting it...