View Single Post
Old 18 Feb 2021, 18:32 (Ref:4035776)   #5
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFA851 View Post
How can one actually measure such downforce? I have a car ( not a V8 supercar ) which has a front spoiler and a rear wing. How can I measure how much downforce ( hopefully ) it creates now so I have a baseline to understand if any future changes increase or decrease that downforce?

I imagine the pros put the car on corner scales in a wind tunnel and blast air over the car at 200kph, then read the scales? I have the scales, but not a 200kph wind tunnel....
They did coast down tests and airport runway tests with spring compression measurements and a host of other processes. Lots of techo work involved, plenty of tech dudes from the category and teams at the time, measurements of various drag inducing items - there was a lot to it.