View Single Post
Old 10 Sep 2019, 14:24 (Ref:3927173)   #49
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Bert, ignore all the razzamatazz stuff, you can get easily waylaid on your way round.
I want to go and have a look at the vintage aircraft (I'm quite an avgeek) so that's one diversion I'll definitely take. I'm not sure how much of the other off track stuff is worth a look? I guess some of that continues after racing has finished for the day anyway as the site is open quite late.

Quote:
There are restrictions on close up viewing in the main paddock unless you have a separate (and expensive) paddock pass which incidentally is the same at the Le Mans classic.
Thanks - that's useful, I won't try that then! Is it all race paddocks that are off limits or only some of them?

Quote:
The massive attendance means a long hike from the car parking areas which are all clearly defined outside the circuit in adjoining fields
I'm up for a walk so that's no issue - they used the revival car parks for the Battle Of Britain flypast thing a few years back and they were mud baths but I guess that shouldn't be an issue this year with the better weather we've had recently. Walking the circuit should be warmer than last time I did it - it barely got above freezing all day and the sleet/rain never stopped!

Quote:
There are big gaps between races which can give the opportunity for other activities but as with other big events the bulk of the crowd gather around the start/finish and along from Woodcote through to Madgwick so if you try to move around it's quite difficult. If you want to see the racing try anywhere from the exit of Madgwick through to St Marys, my favourite spectating point is at No Name, the kink before St Marys where the brave and talented can be seen at their best on track.
The big gaps are useful for re-positioning - as you say the 'non-race' crowds don't tend to move far so with a small bit of leg work a quieter spot should be easily found (St Marys and Lavant are currently my preferred options but I may re-assess based on what's in shot in the background).

Quote:
I've been every year except one when I was laid up but then I'm biaised since it's only 15 minutes away! Oh and take all you want to eat and drink unless you're feeling flush!
Lucky man! This is the first time I'll have been to the revival (and only then courtesy of a gifted ticket). I'll be taking my own supplies of food/drink - I don't want to have to re-mortgage the house for a cup of tea