View Single Post
Old 2 Mar 2008, 22:45 (Ref:2142751)   #78
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
Umm, yeah ,but take a look at todays LMS test day results and Audi being 3 seconds faster than Peugeot last year on a relatively short, though fast track. What will this mean at Le Mans? While I don't think that the 3.20 barrier will fall, the Audis and Peugeots might come very close in qualifying...
For the first time in almost 10 years we have an arms race between two big factories, it's only natural that these factories will push the envelope quite a bit.

And the evolution of the petrol cars -while being admittedly slower - doesn't stand still either. I wouldn't be surprised if the Aston-Lola or Oreca went below 3.30.
The Pescarolo ran a 3.28 at the test day last year, but during the race they were 5 seconds slower, the diesels ran sub 3.30 during qualifying and the race.

The quickest petrol car should be around 3.26/7 in qualifying, which is acceptable to the ACO, just like the diesels last year.

For '09 I'd expect all P1's to recieve smaller wings/splitters, a slight restrictor cut for the petrol cars, a bigger one for the diesels.

This won't neccessarily slow them down, but peg them at current pace in the face of the arm's race in P1.