View Single Post
Old 28 Nov 2019, 17:49 (Ref:3943440)   #113
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
Funnily enough I was thinking the same thing Andy . The only difference possibly is that the Monoposto competitors don't use the original Formula Three engines but have replaced them with more road based Vauxhall , Toyota and Zetec engines .

And this could be the problem with the HSCC's new series and also why there hasn't been a Formula 3000 series . There should be loads of chassis around but are the engines available ? The Ralts and Reynards of the late eighties and early nineties provided a healthy field for the Club F3 series ( or its equivalent then ) before Dallaras took over and since then I can only recall Geoff Hoodless and his March 813 challenging the Dallara hordes .

I wonder if this series is being seen as a home for the Pre 1984 Formula Ford 2000s that have struggled to find a home since moving from the BARC to the HSCC ? On the Historic FF2000 website a few people have posted that they have been rebuilding late model FF2000s so this series would provide a home for them .

I sincerely hope this series does prosper but apart from the FF2000s I'm struggling to see where the entries are coming from .

I think those are fair points but are the engines in Classic F3 or F3000 any rarer than in any other historic motorsport discipline? There were a lot of certain types of engines produced and they may still exist or be being used in sports car disciplines etc. Difficult, and expensive, but not impossible, and probably not as expensive as a DFV or BMW F2 engine.

I think that if the HSCC had collaborated with Monoposto on this, to offer a “classic Monoposto” series then they may have been pleasantly surprised at who knew (and had) what, with respect to period correct engines.