View Single Post
Old 1 Dec 2018, 11:20 (Ref:3867225)   #115
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cat/pigeons

This dropped into my inbox last night and will be of interest to anyone taking cars to Europe for payment.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/ecmt-int...content=weekly

The writer was obviously under instructions to include the phrase "In the unlikely event..." on every page

If you have more time than me on a wet winter morning you might like to try and find where the ECMT permit exemptions are listed in the sundry linked documents. As far as I can see the only possible exemptions for us are if you carry your own goods ie not for hire and reward and operate on a restricted O licence, or if you are carrying non-commercial 'properties' to a sports event. Whether cars and tools count as props I couldn't say but if certain events, as is often claimed, are 'theatre' then maybe they do!

A couple of things jump out though, especially if you are running on a Standard International and not Restricted O licence. Permits will be in very short supply. There seems to be no increase in the quantity available - only 984 annual - which will fall far short of what's needed given that you will be scrabbling for an allocation with every haulage company in the country, and your application for annual permits has to be in by 21st December, so not much time.

Another issue for many will be that annual permits are only available for euro6 vehicles, monthly permits can be used with both euro5 & 6 but whilst there are 2592 monthly permits for euro6 there are only 240 for euro5.

I sincerely hope that it doesn't come to this or how to transport our racing cars will suddenly become less important to all of us than why supermarket shelves are empty because European hauliers will have to jump through the same hoops if they want to come to the UK