View Single Post
Old 11 Jul 2014, 17:37 (Ref:3432905)   #3739
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post
This is the elegance of it. You do rules like that and budgets magically go down, as the predictable ROI vaporizes. As far as a series dying because nobody else could figure out how to beat the dominant team, I think the only place we've really seen that is CanAm, where Penske/Porsche spending was a key component.

I would say if things got dire, and the series really was on the line, the sanctioning body would need to institute success ballast. Keep the rules open, but one team has to lug around a lot more weight (and likely redesign a lot of their car just to be able to handle the weight). That's an end-of-the-world scenario, with the series on the line. Otherwise, I would be very opposed to that sort of gimmick.
I think WEC (and F1) are so high profile they are likely to not make drastic changes. I don't follow many other series, but it would be interesting to have someone operate a smaller series somewhere under some of the types of rules we have talked about and see what works and what doesn't. It might end up as a model for the larger series.

I see your point about something like the success ballast. Last resort at you say, but it also sort of admitting defeat if the series has "open rules" at it's core.

Richard